A Firefighter's Wife: Worrying About Your Firefighter

A Firefighter's Wife: Worrying About Your Firefighter: I just received our copy of" International Firefighter" in the mail today. After gazing at the cover that said "Honoring the Yarnell 19", I flipped to the article. I was so saddened to see the faces of the 19 firefighters that were killed in Arizona this year. It was a terrible year for firefighters. In Oregon, I think we lost around four.

Why am I bringing this up? Firefighting is dangerous. I do not allow myself to think about this part of my husband's job very often. I could drive myself crazy with the thought of him dying in an inferno, but would it do any good? I have been the wife of a firefighter for 18 years, and have learned a few things along the way. I am a person who craves peace. When I am worrying, there is no peace.

Sometimes when I feel afraid, I choose to face my worst fears. When I feel an old or new fear arising, I play a game with myself. I say, "If __________ happened, then God would get me through it". I have even shortened it to "If______, then God." 

It has helped me so much. God will carry me. He will provide what I need. I know my husband is a Christian and where he is going if he dies. Would it be terrible? Hard? Scary? Lonely? Sad? Yes.... But I am never alone. My God will not forsake me.


Ladies, if your hubby has a dangerous job, please do not spend your life worrying. Worrying wastes energy and saps your day of its strength.Love the Lord. Trust your loved ones to Him.

I am praying for the families that have lost their loved ones this fire season. I pray God will envelop them with His love and peace today.